Monday 2 April 2012

The God of Small Things

Please find above, Flora's shadow box of inspiration. Flora says, 'Take care of the small things, the big things will then take care of themselves'. Actually, this was something an old boss of mine said years ago, back at the daily grind and I really like it.

 I hardly ever read, I must confess, I always seem to be doing 'something else'. But, one book I love, and have read over and over is Arundhati Roy's, 'The God of Small Things'. I am obsessed by it. I love it so much that I've lent it twice, and never received it back and have now bought my third copy!

There's some beautiful quotes from Roy on the internet. She's pretty special. Don't expect a nice read, the book's devastating, it's about the caste system in India and 'those who go against the 'natural laws'. Roy makes a lot of political commentary in her work. She's also written The Chequebook & the Cruise-Missile, a collection of essays about her childhood in India, September 11, the invasion of Iraq and nuclear weaponry.

“To love. To be loved. To never forget your own insignificance. To never get used to the unspeakable violence and the vulgar disparity of life around you. To seek joy in the saddest places. To pursue beauty to its lair. To never simplify what is complicated or complicate what is simple. To respect strength, never power. Above all, to watch. To try and understand. To never look away. And never, never, to forget.”

 ― Arundhati Roy (The God of Small Things)

I thought I'd post a shot of me holding the books, because I read somewhere that 'to have a successful blog', your readers must see you! This got a bit silly, it took me about ten shots to get a half decent one, so I've settled for this one.

Happy Monday, good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment